Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Review of The Postman Always Rings Twice


This is the story about when a title completely throws you off.
Let me tell you something about myself. I don't read the backs of books. I don't like the read even a small description of a novel. I feel like most books should be like discovering new land. Completely prepared to amaze you, so I try to keep the amount of spoilers to a bare minimum.
I know sometimes you just got to read a little of what the novel is about, but when I'm attracted by a title, I give it a go most of the times.

Well, The Postman Always Rings Twice had given me expectations. I'm female, I need a little literary romance once in a while, and while I seem to have outgrown the Sookie Stackhouse series and the like, I wanted to try my hand on this.

Hmmm, Romantic isn't the word I'd use to describe this novel after I've read it.
In short it's a guy telling you about a girl he's done crazy things for, violent things and how their love eventually turned onto themselves, like a rabbid dog.
Nope, not my idea of romantic literature, but far more interesting that let's say The Notebook. 

The style of the novel took some getting used to. It's written very casually, sentences reflecting the guy's low upbringing and you don't get to symphatize with him. James M. Cain makes sure you see the brutal nature of their affection, instead of its warmth and comfort.

Where the title came from, I haven't got a clue. This would definitely be a question if it should have been on any reading list during high school and I hated those kind of questions, but what I think the title means is that some things are inescapable.
Like the truth, like karma, like death.

It's worth a 6,5 on a scale of 10. Why so little? No emotional pull. It's supposed to be such a great little novel, but I don't feel like I would've missed much if I never got to read it.

Check out these other reviews!!!