Sunday, December 21, 2014

Allegiant - The Review


I realized today that I'm not going to make this year's challenge. I had set forth to read at least 45 books in 2014, but with the year almost over and done with and still having to read three novels, I'm surrendering already.
I have a choice. I know. Whether to face up and read those damn three novels in 10 days, I could pick very slim novels at that, but I rather choose to enjoy what I'm reading now instead of rushing through just to meet own appointed dead line.

Choice is also the main theme in the last installment of the divergent series by Veronica Roth. I had first heard of this serie when the movie came out, if you can believe me. No word whatsoever about these great novels had reached me, must be because I live in a cave with no living souls in a 100 miles.

I've read Divergent and Insurgent before I began reading Allegiant. Both the prior novels are written well, not taking note of a few beauty mistakes, but I was a little terrified starting Allegiant, expecting it to be not as great as I wanted it to be.
Take the Hunger Games for example, another great series comparable to this one, but the last book kind of went haywire. It didn't show any growth in the series heroine.

Veronica Roth must have read the Hunger Games as well, and must have come to the same conclusion, because I never expected Allegiant to be so full of heartfelt advice and grown up characters. Keep in mind that they are still just in their teens when everything unfolds around them, but Tris is an example how becoming responsible isn't age-related.
The struggle Tobias went through is very well written, how feeling ashamed can turn you away from the people who want to help you, especially the ones that love you the most.

The pace of this novel was slower, yet more intense. The switch between the characters was confusing in the beginning (Sometimes I was reading a Tobias chapter, thinking it was Tris and not even realise until the next chapter). Luckily the similarities that exist between Tris and Tobias fade out and they both show their own strenghts and weaknesses, coming to a heartbreaking conclusion.


Check out these other reviews!!!