Sunday, June 21, 2015

The Taking


“Reality isn't what it used to be.”  (Quote from the above mentioned title)

It rings very true, because it didn't strike as being real that a writer who has written so many books and not only that has a very large fanbase. Someone who you subconsciously rank with my personal number one (Stephen King that is, for those who are new to my blog) either because they both are the definition of fiction writing machines or maybe because they have shared the same aisle for eternity. I think it would be only fair if when they both are invited to a banquet, they should sit together. You might wonder if they like each other, or they see each other as rivals.

But to continue with what I wanted to say, that it doesn't seem real that someone so known could write so bad. 
It's not even like he's trying to treat his writers as intelligent people. I felt like a three year old where repetition is the key to success, but believe me when I say that when I'm been told that something bad happened at the age of eight, I don't need to see it repeated three of four times in the first 100 pages of this novel. The same goes for other things, one of the sentences that I still remember - is that a good thing? - is that Neil at one point shares with us: "May God have mercy on us." and Koontz needed to add that he was brought up by Jesuites. What? In what way does that add to the story or even to the molding of his character? It's not even the first time he mentioned it. 

Nope, not a good novel, and I don't need to tell you that I didn't finish it. I literally threw down my e-reader, consulting Goodreads what others thought of it and it helped me make the decision to not wanting to know what alien power is lurking in the steady falling rain.



Because that's the premise of the novel..
It starts to rain, a lot, not the usual rain, but a fragrant rain. Our two main characters seem to know from the start that we have visitors from outer space. Probably avid 'Ancient Aliens' watchers, because why would you otherwise jump to that conclusion immediately?

Nope, I'm not going to tell more because I don't see the point in this. This novel would maybe terrify someone still in his or hers pre-teens, but they'd have to be squeamish. (I first began reading King when I was 12 and Christine never gave me any nightmares, although the subject was far more scary that what Koontz Concocted with this poor excuse of a novel).

What I found worst of all, is that I even had some expectation of a good story. It was supposed to be one of the most thrilling he had written in a while..
What can I say about that? Truly, I just feel sad. And angry because there are so many great writers out there struggling to get published and then you have this.

*No animals were hurt while writing this review.

Check out these other reviews!!!