Sunday, September 13, 2015

Review of The Wastelands


Roland's quest to the dark tower is coming along nicely and I'm joining with pleasure.
I have to admit that I took longer to finish the Waste Lands than I expected, but there are many reasons for that.
First of all, no time is one of those reasons, a meek one I agree, but there are just those days that I come back from work and sit back after an evening of cooking and getting the little one ready for bed that I just want to brainlessly watch television.
Rekindling Friends wasn't maybe the best choice to improve my reading habits.

Another reason for the slomo I have been, is that I felt The Drawing of the Three had me right on the edge of things, where I like to be, whereas The Waste Lands let go of those reigns.
It's always tricky to be rereading a novel because there are parts you like and others you don't. The Drawing of the Three was packed with what I liked, while The Wastelands dragged on a little.
I love Blaine though, even if he is as evil as the devil. Who doesn't like to solve riddles? Even I do, and I suck at it.

For those unfamiliar with this book, it takes you along the journey of Roland and his Ka-tet, Susannah and Eddie, to the dark tower. If you know your facts, you are aware of the fact that he doesn't reach that yet, as this is just the third novel in a series that encompasses eight novels (seven when I read it at first - The Wind Through The Keyhole being a brand new edition and partly the reason I pulled these out of their resting place).
We get to see the progress of Susannah and Eddie as they slowly turn into gunslingers themselves, both terrified for Roland who seems to have lost his mind after dealing with the third door on the beach. Is Jake alive or isn't he? That's the question and Roland's mind doesn't seem to be able to decide as both memory circuits compete with each other.
As they travel across the land, they notice the signs that this world has gone on and is on its way to certain oblivion, it being a duracell bear or clocks that go backwards. As Roland has to deal with his own shit, Eddie has demons of his own. He knows something the others don't, but his past keeps him from doing what needs to be done until it's almost to late.

I could tell more, a lot happens in this novel, but I don't want to spoil too much.
I can tell you of Lud, the city that never sleeps and rocks to the beat of ZZ Top.. or swings would be more accurate. Lud is also the city of Blaine and that leaves an explosive end to a novel that will leave you begging for more.

Stephen King is a master story teller and The Dark Tower is just one example in a lifetime of unbelievable stories I can't get my hands off.
Roland is so lifelike, I can almost smell the sweat on his brow or feel the coldness that spreads when it isn't his mind but his hand who controls his movements. It's Clint Eastwood, but with a dash of utter hopelessness about him. As he travels with his ka-tet they transfrom from fellow traveler's into a band of brothers worthy of the old times.
Susannah and Eddie react in their own way to their new life and even reluctantly acknowledge they wouldn't want to go back to their old life even if it was offered on a golden platter.
But neither of them have the will and perseverance the fourth member of their fellowship has, he doesn't get to be pulled, he jumps.

But enough with the riddles.
Read it and be amazed.
Read it again and be comforted.

Check out these other reviews!!!